Temperatures fell to below -11F due to the hurricane hits Texas on 15th, Feb 2021. Texas went through the worst disaster in its history. People living in Texas have been hit with widespread power cuts as well as a water pipe collapse or freeze. Hundreds of systems have been damaged by the freezing temperatures most of them are gal-based power plants. It assumes that the solar industry in Texas will probably become a turning point due to the rocketing price of electricity and widespread power cut.
In the days of the power cut in Texas, online traffic to the rooftop solar company website soared as people sought to get rid of the impact of grid changes during uncommon disastrous weather. In extreme weather events such as hurricanes, floods, and wildfires, people’s interest in rooftop solar and solar energy storage systems has surged.
According to data from the Solar Energy Industry Association, There are 780,000 households with solar energy systems in Texas, second only to California. However, only about 1% of households use solar energy, and its per capita installation is far behind. Affected by this incident, it is expected that in the next few years from 2021 to 2023, Texas will increase another 35GW of solar and wind power generation capacity.
To make sure that the electricity supply still works in the event of a power cut, solar panels are not enough-they need to be equipped with batteries. Most solar panels are grid-connected, which means they supply electricity directly to the grid, and if there is a power cut, it will be shut down for safety reasons. However, if the house is equipped with batteries, the electricity can be stored and discharged to supply power to the house in an emergency. But there is a disadvantage that is too costly at present. Due to the days get shorter and the occasional heavy snow accumulation, solar panels generate less electricity than usual in winter. But basically, its efficiency is not greatly affected by low temperatures. When the temperature rises above 77 degrees Fahrenheit, the efficiency starts to drop-and even if it is covered by snow, they can continue to absorb some sunlight.
In the next few years, how to ensure the safety of solar roof systems and battery energy storage systems will become more and more important. ZJBENY is committed to providing safe, efficient, and fast photovoltaic system components for global users. With 10 years of production experience, the BFS and BDM series launched by ZJBENY fit the solutions for this:
BFS Series for rapid shutdown solution（RSD）
● ZJBENY rapid shutdown solution is developed according to UL and CE standards, meets NEC2017 module-level rapid shutdown requirements.
● The module-level device is certified for compatibility with all brands of panel and string inverter, making compliance simple and easy.
● Sunspec (PLC) power line communications, make installation, and labor is significantly reduced. No additional wires or communication equipment is needed.
BDM Series for battery energy storage systems （BESS）
● Battery energy storage systems are rechargeable battery systems that store energy from the solar system and provide that energy to a home or business.
● Batteries can be expensive, and each system needs to be designed extremely well so that they are worth the added expense.
● ZJBENY dc breakers are designed for applications including solar photovoltaic, electric vehicle charging stations, commercial battery storage, and UPS applications, offer reliable and safe protection and isolating devices.